The Robbie Weir Interview from Coping Block Skateboarder Magazine!

                                                        Stylized Robbie Weir going through the motions.                                            

http://www.copingblock.com/

Rob you are now a member of the Florida Skateboarders Hall of Fame, how does it feel?


Not worthy!! Not worthy!! It’s a dream come true to be in the company of so many legends…

You know you’ve been a big part of the southern Florida skate scene for a long-time, when did it all begin for you?

I was about 10 years old when I first saw Robert Rodrigues freestyling at the school across the street... I was amazed at his footwork and one footed 360's...

Who were the skaters in your crew back in the day?

I skated with Paul Glantz, John Uffendale and Scott Joseph in Kendale Lakes. At the Runway Skate Park I skated with Monty Nolder, Robert Rodrigues, Wayne Hilldreth, Shawn Webster, Nick Hutchins and many others...

What parks did you skate back then?

The Runway in south Miami, and Solid Surf in Ft. Lauderdale...


                                                            Rob backside air at Solid Surf Skate Park.

After the parks closed, it seemed that there were several ramps in and
around the Miami area, what ramps did you guys have to skate?

I had a backyard ramp but after that came down I skated Dave Jaspers ramp at the Falls. Then Robins ramp and John Baileys in the same area. In Ft.Lauderdale they had the Cambodia Ramp, which was really good...

At some point in time your talents were noticed and you got sponsored, who noticed you first, and who were your sponsors over time?

I won a contest at Solid Surf and Bruce Walker sponsored me right on the spot. Later I got on Tracker Trucks, and then left Walker for Powell Peralta, Jimmy Z, Blackhart Wheels, plus Airwalk.

You’ve always lived down in south Florida, have you ever wanted to live in California?

I always wanted to move there but something always came up. I still go there often and love the weather...

How can a young kid today get to the level that you reached in skateboarding?

First you need cool parents then you need to skate everyday and most of all have fun...

Do you remember any of the backyard ramp series contests?

I remember Naples, St Pete, and Cambodia etc. Naples I got second to Grigley, St Pete I got 4th and Cambodia I won...


                                                               Rob flying over the Naples ramp.

Let me say this to you Rob, you shredded the St.Pete contest! I was watching your backside airs go higher and higher during each run, what was your motivation?

That was my first contest after my knee injury and losing Powell as a sponsor. So I was pissed off... and had a lot of energy. Also that ramp was huge and made it easy for big airs.

During the Soul Bowl Masters event in Miami you took a pretty tough fall, what exactly happened that day?

Wow... I made my first run without falling and wanted to go bigger on my second. I was doing a roll out roll in to Backside Air off the extension but hooked up a little on the roll in and fell head first to the bottom and fractured my shoulder... but I still won $500 because of my first run... they counted the best run of three... lucky for me...

What’s your opinion of the over forty skate events?

Its fun to see everyone having fun and talking about old times... Some of the faces I don’t recognize but the style I always remember...

What would be the perfect skateboard park design for you?

A flow course like Cocoa Beach with a nice big bowl at the end…

What skaters have influenced your skating the most?

Robert Rodrigues, Monty Nolder, Mike Mcgill, Alan Gelfand, Dan Murray, Cleo Coney, Chris Baucom, Steve Caballero, Tracy Ramos, Billy Bogey, Mark Lake, Tony Hawk etc.

Tell me about your book Miami Inverted, and why you wrote it.

I knew if I didn't document things, the truth would get lost... Also when I fractured my shoulder it gave me something to do. After I read Push, Carve, Grind!.. I found the inspiration to finish my book... I will be doing a follow up sometime soon....


http://www.miamiinverted.com/


You’ve worked with some Hollywood types before on all levels, who are some of the celebrities that you found yourself working with over the years?

I worked with Heidi Klum when she first started and many other super models because I had a production company that produced fashion shoots. In the movie business I did stunt work on occasion and I met many stars.Will Smith was cool on the Bad Boys II set, but Michael Bay is crazy. I also worked with Dan Marino on a commercial and he was also cool.

What’s it feel like to wake up in beautiful Miami?

It’s beautiful, but too damn hot in the summer! So swimming on South Beach is the best part...

Where do you see skateboarding headed?

I think with more parks opening everyday it can only get bigger with street skating leading the way... but a good flow course with different walls and bowls might be cool and the kids will have to adapt to it...

Any last words, or shouts out?

Cleo thanks again for the great induction speech, and I still owe you a sandwich..

LOL!

Push, Carve, Grind!

For more great Skateboarding stories please visit http://www.copingblock.com/